Tuesday, January 18, 2011

1B

http://changethis.com/
Mitch Ditkoff’s article, 14 Ways to Get Breakthrough Ideas, teaches readers how to stimulate their mind.  He teaches that there are better ways to create innovation and creative ideas at work other than caffeine and corporate pep talks.  There has to be a way for employees to spark their innovation.  In his article, Ditkoff, explains to receive real innovation one must take a look at where ideas actually come from.  One must learn to be open to new ideas and thoughts.   Suppressing your thoughts can hinder your creative ability to generate new ideas.  You must embrace your new ideas.  Dirkoff explains by immersing yourself in one activity that has nothing to do with your job just something you enjoy you can produce new ideas.  When you have new, great ideas submerse yourself in them fully for a true breakthrough idea.  Immersion can help me in my creative process.  I am a student and in Army ROTC.  Most of my time gets immersed in my student life because of homework and the temptations of college.  This makes my view of ROTC take a toll.  However if I became immersed in my ROTC life instead of student life, I might start to enjoy the program for all it offers.  
Another way to gain new ideas is to hang out with diverse groups of people.  I believe this a good way for someone to construct new ideas. In all of my previous classes networking was emphasized.  By networking you meet new people that can help you find a job or help you invent new ideas.  If you broaden your horizon you’re bound to stumble across a good idea.  The author explains most stay within their comfort zone.  We become comfortable with the familiar and avoid change.  Ditkoff says we need to step outside of the box, branch out and meet different types of people.  The unfamiliar might be uncomfortable for most but the unfamiliar is what creates innovation.  This can help me in my creative process by branching out.  I normally hangout with the same group of friends since freshman year and do not attend many campus activities.  However, if I started attending different campus activities I might start to see the world in a different way.  By meeting new people we can collaborate and come up with new, interesting ideas. 
One other way to gain new ideas is to use creative thinking techniques. An example of this is jumper cables.  The main point for this idea is to turn your potential energy into kinetic.  By doing this you can open up your mind to let new ideas flow in.  You can also use creative thinking exercises to help you come up with a new idea.  Such exercises are right –brain thinking exercises that are aimed at your creative side.  These exercises tap into your unconscious.  An idea from your left brain is a logical explanation to a problem.  However your right brain does not use logic, it uses your subconscious.  By listening to your subconscious you can come up with a vast array of ideas.  They can come from anywhere.  You could have a “Eureka” moment of your idea might come to you a dream. Before deciding which technique to use you must find one that meets your specific needs. Or because all these new ideas are running through your head make up your own, new technique.
5. My current challenge is getting motivated for ROTC.  Although they help me out with all of my school I still have a problem waking up to attend ROTC events.  My fantasy solution to this problem would be to wake up on time everyday and get motivated for each ROTC event I participate in.  This fantasy solution gives me many clues.  One clue is I need to start going to bed earlier so I will not have a problem waking up in the morning. Another clue is by doing extracurricular activities with ROTC outside of my training will help me become more motivated and closer with my fellow cadets.  One other clue that this gives me if I exercise regularly and keep to my own schedule with integrity I can accomplish my fantasy goal.  It will be hard because I will have to change everything I do however, I believe the benefits outweigh the costs.  I will become motivated when I realize that college is expensive and the army pays for all of mine.  When I truly understand how much Army ROTC impacts my life, in all aspects, I will become a better cadet, student, and person.     

No comments:

Post a Comment